HRI's Nicki Holodnji (centre in pic) has given us some top tips for this Christmas. As well as cooking tips her secret to a successful slap-up dinner is "get someone in your family to be your designated wine bringer to ensure your glass is always topped up. It always works for me".
* preparation... almost everything apart from the turkey can be prepped the day before
* don't leave carrots or other veg in water overnight, except potatoes
* keep it simple
* potatoes - parboil and shake to get crispy edges.
TOP TIPS TO COOK THE PERFECT TURKEY
And here's turkey tips from Lina d'Italia at CRH.
- Get your turkey out of the fridge 30 minutes before you cook it. You’ll get less shrinkage when it goes into a hot oven.
- Always preheat your oven for at least 20 minutes before cooking your turkey.
- Place a trivet of veggies and onions in the bottom of the tray to help make an epic gravy with all the juices.
- Cover the turkey loosely with foil, but remove it just under an hour before the timing is up to get the turkey nicely browned.
- Roast your bird for the calculated time, or until the juices run clear from the thigh if you pierce it with a knife or a skewer.
- Once cooked, carefully lift the turkey out of the tray and rest on a board. Cover loosely with foil for at least an hour while you get on cooking your roast potatoes.